FAQs – M-PESA GENERAL INFORMATION
What is M-PESA?
M-PESA is an innovative mobile payment solution that enables customers to complete simple financial transactions including person to person money transfer. It is aimed at mobile customers who do not have a bank account, either by choice, because they do not have access to a bank or because they do not have sufficient income to justify a bank account.
|Do I need to have a bank account?
No. M-PESA has been designed so that people without bank accounts can use it. Your money is held safely in a bank account run by M-PESA on your behalf. You do not have any contact with the bank and the bank does not have your details.
|Do I need to have a minimum amount in my account like some banks ask for?
No. Your M-PESA account can have a much or as little money in it as you like between zero and Ksh50,000 at any time.
|Do I need to pay any service charges for having an M-PESA account?
No. M-PESA charges you on a pay-as-you-go basis every time you do a transaction. You’re only charged for the transactions you have initiated.
|I already have a bank account. Can I access it using M-PESA
No. M-PESA is completely separate to any other account you may have.
Can I use my Safaricom airtime to top up my M-PESA account
No. Your M-PESA account is completely separate from your Safaricom airtime. You cannot buy M-PESA value using airtime. However you can use your M-PESA value to buy airtime for your own or another Safaricom subscriber’s phone. Safaricom subscribers do not need to be registered for M-PESA to receive airtime from you.
|Can I top up a Zain number?
No. At present, you can only buy airtime for Safaricom numbers.
|What services are available?
- Deposit money
- Withdraw money
- Transfer(send) money to another M-PESA customer
- Send money to someone who isn’t an M-PESA customer and they do not necessarily need to be Safaricom customers
- Buy Safaricom prepaid airtime for yourself and other Safaricom subscribers
- Manage M-PESA account
- Pay bill (this function is not fully operational and is still in undergoing test)
|How do customers register for M-PESA?
If you are already a Safaricom customer, you may need a SIM replacement to get a NEW SIM with the M-PESA function. SIM replacement will be done through the normal Safaricom procedure.
If you got your Safaricom SIM recently, it may already have the M-PESA menu. Check by going into your phone menu and selecting “Safaricom”. If your SIM already has M-PESA you will see the M-PESA option on the menu.
If you’re not a Safaricom subscriber, you will have to purchase a Safaricom line with the M-PESA menu to enable you to register as a new M-PESA customer.
- Before you regsiter, ensure you have an M-PESA enabled SIM Card (Refer to Points 1,2 or 3 above where applicable).
- Register for free in any M-PESA Agency in order to open an M-PESA account. Registration takes about 3 minutes; you will need to have your M-PESA enabled Safaricom SIM and your ID card. You will also be required to sign an agreement to the Terms & Conditions of service.
|Are there any charges for SIM Swaps?
|What are the benefits of M-PESA?
M-PESA allows you to make transactions simply and securely in a few seconds by using SMS technology. This has many benefits to customers in terms of convenience, security and ease of use. The pricing is competitive compared with other formal money transfer services.
- To load money into your M-PESA account you need to go to an M-PESA Agent and make a cash deposit which results in electronic money being transfered into your M-PESA account (This is confirmed by an SMS received by both the Agent and the Customer).You can then conveniently transfer money to other mobile phone users by sms transaction.
- To withdraw cash from your M-PESA account or (for unregistered customers to get cash), you need to go to an M-PESA agent and make an electronic transfer to the agent who will exchange this for cash.
|Does M-PESA work across networks?
Only Safaricom customers can register for M-PESA. However the person you are sending money to does not need to have an M-PESA account or be a Safaricom subscriber.
The M-PESA service is cheaper if you send money to a registered M-PESA customer.
|Can I use M-PESA if my line is expired?
|How do I get my start up key, if I forget and have no funds?
If a customer needs a new start key, he will need to deposit money into his M-PESA account. He can do this WITHOUT an M-PESA menu on his phone, as long as he is registered.
|What is the difference between a registered M-PESA customer and an unregistered customer?
An M-PESA customer’s SIM-Card has the full M-PESA menu and is able to carry out all the services described above.
An unregistered customer is one that receives money from an M-PESA customer and does not have to be a Safaricom subscriber. An unregistered customer can only get the cash sent to him/her but cannot carry out other M-PESA transactions.
|Who are the M-PESA Agents?
- Safaricom dealers, operating one or more outlets around Kenya
- Other retailers with a substantial distribution network like petrol stations, distributors, supermarkets and Registered SMEs
- Selected Banks and Micro-Finance Institutions
|How do I become an M-PESA agent?
Any interested party will need to contact the M-PESA department for vetting and signing of contract so as to become an M-PESA agent. For more information on ‘How to become an Agent’ email: M-PESA@Safaricom.co.ke
|What do I do in case of a wrong transfer?
Wrong transfers are reversible on the M-PESA system, upon rigorous vetting of the sender and recipient and if the money has not yet been cashed or withdrawn. If you make an incorrect transaction, please call 234 for assistance.
|Can I top up using M-PESA if my account is expired?
It is possible to top up even if the line is expired
|Is it possible to top up unregistered users?
Yes, you can top-up any Safaricom pre-paid SIM using your M-PESA account.
|Can I top up if I am a Safaricom Advantage customer?
Safaricom Advantage customers will be able to top up other Safaricom Pre-paid accounts but not their own account.
|Can I register if I have a Celtel number?
M-PESA is available for Safaricom mobile users only. Celtel subscribers will have to churn to Safaricom. If you do not have a Safaricom SIM Card, we will be happy to provide you one at current market rates.
|Can my present SIM-Card use M-PESA?
- Check by going into your phone menu and selecting “Safaricom”. If your SIM already has M-PESA you will see the M-PESA option on the menu, if not, you need to do a SIM Replacement.
|What happens if I do not get an SMS from M-PESA confirming the transaction?
On occasion there is a delay in receiving your SMS from M-PESA for more than 20 minutes, call the customer service line 234 who will advise on the status of your transaction on the M-PESA system.
|What happens if the Safaricom network is down?
As M-PESA relies on SMS messages, if the Safaricom SMS service is down, M-PESA will not function.
|When will my start key expire?
Start keys do not expire.
|What happens if I lose my SIM?
You should get a replacement SIM in the usual way. You can use your existing M-PESA PIN to activate the menu on your new SIM.
|How many times can I change my secret word.
We currently have no limit to the number of times you can change your secret word.
|I received my confirmation message with secret word, but the M-PESA menu has not come through
Use the new PIN you changed to on activation as the current start key then activate/wezesha once more. In the unlikely event that this doesn’t work call customer support to generate a new start key, for this activation. Unless some money is deposited generation of a start key will not be possible.
|I have a Motorola C113 and can’t activate my account?
There are a number of Motorola phones that don’t receive the Safaricom menu. In that case you need to use another model of phone to receive the menu then return the SIM to your motorolla phone and it will function well.
|Is a photocopy of my passport or ID sufficient to register, or do cash transactions at an Agent?
No – we need to see your original ID. Driving License is not sufficient. Aliens Certificate is a form of Kenyan ID & is o.k.
|I have a 7 digit ID – what will I use to activate?
- Add a zero at the end of the seven digit number to make it eight digit.
- In case you have a passport you need to replace the alphabets with zeros e.g. A34558K will become 34558000
|Will my transactions be limited to the Agency store where I registered?
No. You will be able to carry out transactions at any M-PESA agency store and not limited to where you registered.
|What happens when I lose my M-PESA SIM?
Call line 234 to have your account suspended. Proceed and get a SIM swap to retain your number and activate your SIM as normal using your previous M-PESA PIN you will receive your menu once more to continue enjoying the service. Note that you will need to call customer services to release your account to enable you activate properly.
If registered your money is safe since every transaction requires identification in form of a secret PIN. This is enhanced by use of Secret word for any call to customer care.
|I am not receiving SMS confirmation for the transactions I have done
This could be as a result of the following:
- Your inbox is full, so delete some messages
- You have diverted messages to screened messages, check the Screened Messages Inbox. If the messages are ther, remove M-PESA from the Screened numbers list.
- If none of the above works, contact Safaricom Customer Care on 234 for more assistance.
I am not receiving any SMSes
- If none of the above works, contact Safaricom Customer Care on 100 for more assistance
Can i buy airtime through M-PESA if i’m out of the country?
Yes. As long as there is M-PESA value in your account and you have roaming on your line.